Proven. Experienced Trial Attorneys

Can delivery delays cause birth injuries?

On Behalf of | Feb 22, 2023 | Medical Negligence |

The birth of a child is a joyous occasion for any family, but it can also be a time of great anxiety and uncertainty. When a baby is born with a birth injury, the parents are often left wondering what went wrong. Let’s explore the relationship between delivery delays and birth injuries and what parents can do if they suspect their child has been harmed.

Understanding delivery delays

Delivery delays occur when a mother’s labor does not progress as expected. Labor can be delayed for various reasons, such as the baby being too large to pass through the birth canal, the mother’s pelvis being too small or the baby being in a difficult position. Sometimes, delivery delays can be resolved through medication, assisted delivery or a cesarean section. However, if delivery is delayed for too long, it can lead to serious complications.

The relationship between delivery delays and birth injuries

Delivery delays can increase the risk of birth injuries in several ways. Here are some of them.

Hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy

One of the most common birth injuries associated with delivery delays is hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy (HIE). This type of injury may occur when the baby’s brain doesn’t receive enough oxygen. The prolonged periods of oxygen deprivation due to delivery delays increase the risk of HIE.

Shoulder dystocia

Delivery delays can also increase the risk of shoulder dystocia. This occurs when the baby’s shoulders become stuck in the birth canal.

Brachial plexus

This type of injury can also occur when the nerves that control the baby’s arms and hands are damaged during delivery.

If you suspect your child has been harmed due to delivery delays, it is crucial that you speak with a qualified medical professional as soon as possible. They can evaluate your child’s condition and determine if there is any evidence of birth injuries. You should also consider seeking compensation for any harm your child has suffered.

FindLaw Network