Proven. Experienced Trial Attorneys

Flesh-eating bacteria causes serious injuries at nail salon

by | Oct 15, 2019 | Catastrophic Injuries & Wrongful Death |

Anyone who visits a nail salon likely does so with anticipation of being pampered and treated by skilled operators. Suffering serious injuries will certainly not be on the mind of any client who visits such an establishment. However, a client of a nail salon in Tennessee apparently almost lost her arm after she suffered a flesh-eating bacterial infection after a manicure earlier this year.

Reportedly, the woman suffered a small cut to her thumb during the manicure. She went to the doctor after developing flu-like symptoms, and a nurse practitioner determined that the infection had spread into her arm. Further swelling sent her to the ER, and she reports that the doctor warned that she might lose her arm, or even her life.

The woman was diagnosed with a flesh-eating disease called necrotizing fasciitis. It is typically caused by bacteria gaining access to the body through an open wound or a cut, and then entering the blood and soft tissue throughout the body. This woman apparently underwent several surgical procedures during which affected tissue clumps in her arm were removed.

Catastrophic injuries typically have significant financial consequences, along with emotional trauma. If such serious injuries resulted from another party’s negligence — in this case the Tennessee nail salon — then the injured victim might have grounds to pursue a claim for financial relief. However, this is a complicated field of the law, and proving that the infection occurred at the salon might need the skills of an experienced personal injury attorney. Legal counsel can then work to secure maximum recovery of documented damages.

FindLaw Network